In 1870, Good Hope Methodist Episcopal Church was founded by a group of freed people made up of farmers and small landowners who wanted to establish a church in their community. The first church was included in the Washington Annual Conference for Colored Methodists and was a part of the Sandy Spring circuit.
Good Hope Church was erected on land purchased from Sarah Watts, a black landowner, and built on Good Hope Road between Briggs Chaney and New Hampshire Avenue, in an area known as Snowdens Manor. Just as Good Hope was built for its surrounding community, members who lived further out wanted a church closer to their homes. In November 1904, Thomas A. Steward donated land to build a church for this group of parishioners. Thus Steward Chapel was built in the area now know as White Oak. The two churches became exclusive sister churches and developed into the Colesville Charge. On May 28, 1967, the two merged and officially became Good Hope Union United Methodist Church.
In 1999, on land across the street, Good Hope Union built once again. The church now has a 370 seat sanctuary, fellowship hall, administrative offices, conference rooms, classrooms, media center, and a nursery. Over the years, ministries have been developed and dedicated to continuing the legacy of a people who with courage and vision began the advancement of God’s work in their community over 142 years ago.